Learning Routes in Morocco and Egypt
What is a learning route?
The learning route is a concept developed by Procasur. The idea is that practitioners, scientists, policy makers, farmers and others visit successful experiences in the field, learning from rural people. The aim is to increase knowledge sharing and scaling up of best practices in agriculture and rural development.
In 2013, two learning routes took place on the themes of farmer organisations in Morocco and water management in Egypt. The routes were organised by Procasur in partnership with KariaNet. Participants, also known as ruteros, came from 9 countries in the Middle East and Northern Africa.
ILEIA joined both Learning Routes, carrying out preparatory analysis of the main lessons in the host countries, and documenting how and what the ruteros learned during the actual route.
Documenters from ILEIA kept an online diary during the routes, with observations, photos and quotes. You can access the diaries here:
- Morocco Route diary: Visiting Farmers´ Organizations (February 2013)
- Egypt Route diary: Visiting Sustainable Water Management initiatives (March 2013)
In preparation of the learning routes, ILEIA and Procasur prepared elaborate case studies of the visited projects.
Farmer organisations in Morocco:
- ANOC, Association Nationale Ovine et Caprine (in French, pdf)
- ANCA, Association Nationale des Cooperatives d'Argane (in French, pdf)
- COPAG, Coopérative Agricole (in French, pdf)
Water management initiatives in Egypt:
- Sharkia, mechanised raised bed farming in the Nile Delta (pdf)
- Port Said, management of salt affected soils in Egypt (pdf)
- West Nubaria, deficit irrigation in new lands in Egypt (pdf)
The 32 page booklet presents the main lessons learnt during these two learning routes. Short case studies of the initiatives that were visited in Morocco and Egypt are followed by an analysis of the new insights gained by the participants. The final chapter shows ways forward for this innovative tool for knowledge building.
- English: Learning Routes: experiences in Morocco and Egypt (pdf)
- French: Les routes d’apprentissage: Expériences au Maroc et en Égypte (pdf)
The booklet provides summary overviews of the lessons learned. More elaborate documents can be downloaded here: